Pages

Friday, November 2, 2018

Michelle’s Miniatures: “The Mulberry” Art Deco Dollhouse. Art Deco and Craftsman Style, 1:48 Scale. Part 4

Well, sorry I haven't posted in way too long. My daughter's cancer returned which has made for a challenging few months, especially, emotionally. Sometimes bad news just takes it right out of you!

But now I have the mental push to be back in my dollhouse hobby. And yes, the little Mulberry Art Deco has actually been finished for a while, so I hope to pick up where I left off.


-  The Build Up: Time for assembly!  -



Wall and Floor Pieces Ready For Glue Up



The last ting to do before the assembly was to drill whole for the lighting. Once I made up my mind on those locations and got up my nerve, that didn’t take very long. I decided to wait to decorate the 3rd floor, as I wanted to make sure everything glued up the way I thought it would. And the 3rd floor has a removable front wall so it was just better to wait.


Here's the 1st and 2nd floors, the back and the sides, ready to glue up:




_____________________________________


Improvising A Jig



There are glue up jigs out there but I didn’t have the time or inclination to find one that would work for my wee home. So I got my right angle and located the most square drawer I had, a Mainline mid century modern credenza drawer. I rigged up some wood trim to put pressure on the pieces I was trying to glue together. I started with the 1st floor and back wall.


Left: the squarest of the square! Right: the back wall glued to the 1st floor and right side.


_____________________________________


Gluing the Stair Wall



I was so happy my calculations were correct after gluing the stairs to the right side wall! The little stair landing I created on the bottom floor took up just the right amount of height. All the math and preparation I had meticulously done was paying off!




_____________________________________


The First Floor Is Done!!


After adding the left wall piece, I glued in the 2nd floor and all of a sudden the 1st Floor was done!




_____________________________________


Second Floor Pieces


I had to install the staircase screen and the partition wall between the Bedroom and Bath before I could put the next ceiling in. I had to do a bit of shaving on the partition, I had made it a bit too high, but after that it all fit ok. 





_____________________________________


Finished Rooms


The ceiling papers made running the wires for the LED lighting pretty invisible. Once again I used beads for the light fixtures.

Bedroom

Bathroom




Next time, the 3rd floor and possibly finishing up!


1 comment:

  1. It is looking great. The wainscot is striking, and the ceilings are nice too! Good photos too. I'm looking forward to watching your progress and seeing the furniture.

    ReplyDelete