Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Christmas Kingston Castle - ArtMinds' Wooden Craft Castle Dollhouse

My grandson turned 3 this last year. He had always been enamored with the wee wooden castle that was on the burn pile, marked for extinction (too many mice had made it their home and it had been outside for a year)! "No Ben no!" I would call out, "Too much mice poop!". And the poor little mug would look at it wistfully, and toddle off. He's such a good kid.

But then it occurred to me, I could clean that thing and bring it to life for Ben's Christmas present. It already had a great patina from enduring the out of doors and was still in great shape. I don't know what ArtMinds makes these castles out of, but the wood and glue held together through sun and snow...


So I got to it and laid claim to it, to heck with those little mousies!!


__________________________________

Kingly Remodel


I stained the stairs, "gilded" some internal walls and polyied the whole thing. Of course, I just had to use fabric for some of the room walls. I made card stock backings to glue the fabric to, and then wood glued and clamped the panels into place.



I'm glad I started in October as the expanse of time made it a joy to work on. I never felt pressured and just let my mind, and the fabric, do the talking. Just what an old, working grandma needed!

__________________________________

Tra La La La!!


It was done by the middle of December and I had already begun my quest for furniture and knightly items!



I discovered that Playmobil Medieval people and accessories were the perfect size and afforded so many dueling options! I also purchased and painted a couple of wood treasure chests and a wood jewelry box (used for the dastardly dungeon) at Michaels to hold all the accessories. A couple of my old dollhouse finds and we were in the castle business!


Kingston Castle, outfitted for travel.
Open sesame!



Kingston Castle, set up for play.
 __________________________________


Merry Christmas Little Dude!





Yes, it was and is a big hit and when it's put away it makes for a nice display. 
Kingston Castle, who knew?



1 comment:

  1. What a delightful play castle! I love that you saved it from the burn pile. I recently found one of these castles at a thrift shop, it's put together but unpainted and I just thought holy cow I cannot resist lol. I'm really inspired by your castle it's really great. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete