Pages

Monday, May 14, 2018

Michelle’s Miniatures: “The Mulberry” Art Deco Dollhouse. Art Deco and Craftsman Style, 1:48 Scale. Part 3

Modify Modify Modify!



Yes, Stare At the Stairs!



Since I’m creating a shallow “hall” at the back of the 2nd floor, the stairs provide an opportunity to do something a bit creative using the beautiful existing embossed stair stringers that are provided in the kit. I decided to use them to make kind of a screen, between the stairs and the Bedroom. 


I put some parchment over my Hall plan and glued up some trim....




I used some other trim to back the stairs so they would be plumb with the Hall wall. Why bother making a set of stairs no one was going to see?


____________________________



“Screening” the Stairs


I was originally going to use purple Gallery Glass between the trim pieces I glued up, but I really wanted something more etherial. I did a little research on the net and discovered Alcohol Inks. Tom Holtz has them in a little set of 3. Of course I bought too much, but following the directions I got the effect I was looking for on a small, clear plastic triangle I had cut out of a lettuce container to fit the stairs, and it was super quick! 



Let it dry and seal it with two coats of spray H2O polyurethane and you’re ready to go! Glue it to back of the wood and trim. That’s when I ordered some lighting from True 2 Scale.  I couldn’t resist! This little puppy is gonna have light!


____________________________

Tricky Windows


This kit has a serious challenge, papering the wall around the windows. Don’t get me wrong, the little sets of “glass block” that make them up are charming, but papering a wall with all those little blocks proved to be time consuming. I made stencils from clear plastic using the same lettuce container I used for the stained glass stair screen.


Clear plastic wall stencils made to cut the mural stock where the windows are.

I then gingerly cut out the window frames with a single edged razor blade on my mural paper and fine tuned them to each, individual window wall side. It was tedious and I messed up some of my mural stock and had to restart a wall, but I did get it done. 


I think I would suggest to Michelle she make the windows a pop out, so it would be easier to cut around them, glass blocks and all. A nice rectangle of window blocks.


____________________________



Rooms' Separation Wall


There were two partitions that had the flower wainscoting, and I needed to use them for the Bedroom wall separation. I had to cut one down so it would be the correct width and the other, I had to glue the cut off leftover bottom from the cut Michelle had made, and glued it back on. I then glued them perpendicular to each other in a “T” and “papered” the Bathroom side with paper I had made from fabric glued to card stock and polyied. 



____________________________


Finally, the “Sconces" Arrive!


It's amazing how something starts to come together with one postal delivery!! And you drop everything else you are doing of course!


After getting my bead caps from a vendor on Etsy, I was able to mock up the first floor almost to completion. And yes! The the little bead cap sconces will have light!! 


I finished the ceiling medallion, glued it up and made the cutout for the 1st floor stairs.



It's coming along!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment