Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

Miner Industries "Rooms-in-miniature", room boxes, 1960s

These lovely 1/2 scale (1:24) room boxes were produced in the mid 1960s by Miner Industries, Inc., New York, NY. The furniture was made in Japan and I’m unclear whether the room box parts themselves were made by Miner Industries or in Japan. In the great dollhouse reference book, “Dollhouse & Furniture Advertising, 1880s-1980s” by Dian Zillner, page 111 shows the Sears Christmas 1964 Catalog advertisement for the three, beautiful, yet fragile, room boxes.

_____________________________________

Big old box, finally!


The directions are easy to understand and use, thank goodness!

I had been collecting Miner Industries’ Rooms-in-miniature furniture for quite sometime before I realized what it was. A piece here and a piece there would come up and I’d purchase it, if I could afford it. Then one day I saw and was able to purchase a complete bedroom set, in its box and a partial living room set, in its box. 





The grey, bland little box labeled “Made In Japan for Miner Industries, Inc.” on the side holds the most lovely, fragile furniture, pre-assembled, made with fabric, laminate and solid woods.







One of the joys of this set is the reversible, cardboard, wall panels. One side is painted and the other has a wood paneling effect. Plastic bottom and top frames provide the floor and wall support for the panels.







The shelving system seems to be a miniature version of the Mid-Century Danish modern designer Poul Cadovious’ teak Cado Shelving. It has long wood supports with holes to insert brackets that shelves and cabinets are placed on.


Completed room box, minus the clear plastic front and top -I like the look of both the paneling and painted walls together.


The plastic shelf supports flex so they can be inserted into the floor and ceiling frames.



_____________________________________







Living/Dining Room 


I had dining furniture already and decided to meld it with the living room furniture as so little of the living room furniture I have is useable.


The table actually spreads apart in the middle to accommodate a separate leaf. Amazing!





_____________________________________




Bedroom


I’ve never been too fond of pink, or green, but these pieces are just lovely together.










The dresser's drawers open and close. Just a lovely piece!



I love the little typewriter!






The back display the opposite choice for the walls. Still quite lovely!





Keep your eyes out for these lovely sets and pieces. No kids allowed, however!

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with these kits, but they are great! lots of detail and history. I will have to keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found all the furniture at an estate sale but not the room boxes :( Even though I usually work in more Edwardian, Victorian and older styles, these were tooooooo wonderful to pass up. I am so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete