Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Creating an Art Deco Dollhouse Fireplace From a Craft Box

I'm always on the lookout for items I can repurpose for my dollhouses. This fireplace was created from a wooden craft box I purchased at Michael's for under $5.00.


It started out like this:
I removed the hinges and closure.

From the box top, I sketched out a plan, using the long sides as the overall height of the fireplace.

To make the arches, I used a drill with a small drill bit to help cut out the arches that both pieces would need.
The biggest part of the fireplace, I used the top of the box, its sides' thickness was just right for the overall depth of the fireplace, so I did not have to remove it arch.

The inside arched part of the fireplace, I did remove the arch and cut it in half length wise,

to create two, matching arches, which would provide the inside arch of the large piece and the arch of the inside piece,

and glued the inside arch together with a scrap piece of thin craft basswood.

I stained and painted all the pieces, cutting two half round to place on each side of the fireplace to create that Deco look.

The outsides before gluing up.
The back outsides before gluing up.

I used a little firebox I had and my Aunt Elsa's watch pendant to finish the piece.








4 comments:

  1. Wow, it turned out great! (Nice photos too) That is pretty nifty that you were able to work your family heirloom into the project too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Troy! It was rather satisfying for sure.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully done and quite Authentic!

    ReplyDelete