Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

My Foray Into the World Of Quarter Scale: The Mini Arc Dollhouse, by 3StarStudioArts

I have admired "The Arc", a 3/4 scale, kinda abstract mid century feeling dollhouse from 3StarStudioArts, for a very long time, but found it hard to afford. So when I discovered they were offering pretty much a 1/4 scale version, The Mini Arc, I figured it was time to quench my want for an Arc and experience the thrill of 1:48 dollhouse building!


It arrived in a firm envelope, which fit in my mailbox, a big perk in shipping a dollhouse kit for sure. The Mini Arc itself had eight parts and came with some tiny furniture pieces. I immediately got to work, I mean fun!


The window in the upper left is to show the scale between the Mini Arc and a 1:12 scale dollhouse element.

Gluing the wee puppy together was a bit more challenging than I had anticipated. The parts didn't fit together as well as I would've liked. There were gaps at the seams and tab slots, no matter how hard I tried.  My original "vision" for a sparse, mid century abode, was not possible with the open gaps I found myself with.

I realized I was going to have to trim it out a bit, and sliced the width down of some paper thin wood trim I had. I think the trim turned out OK and in fact gave it a bit more realism.


The "before and after" of a little bit of trim. Slicing the width down for the "base molding" was challenging!

Trimmed out.

The furniture that came with it was a little big, I thought, for my 1/4 scale MC world. I went ahead and assembled the bed, the coffee and dining tables and the little stools, which I used as side tables. I ordered some awesome 1/4 scale mid century furniture kits, but I didn't need much. I thought it was more important to suggest a home rather than outfit as a real house (I'm always that way!).


I ordered 3 set of chairs and used two sets to make a couch.



The dining chairs are from the Octagonal dining table and 4 chairs kit from sdk miniatures LLC, the lovely Brasilia credenza is from FaithIcus, the room divider and the Danish chairs are from Small Scale Living.

________________________________________________

Ta Da!!!!




As you can see my Ultimate Frisbee Roman dude is happy to have some company! That place on the shelf always looked a bit needy for some MC action.





I'm glad I found the little brass pedestal, I think it helps with the Mini Arc's presentation.




Now where's that Mini Arc again???

No comments:

Post a Comment