Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

The Maryetta, an Art Deco Dollhouse: Real Good Toys, CC3, 333 Franklin Street. Part 5 - Stairs and Stairwell

The stairwell of the Maryetta is a far cry from the original stairs' configuration of the Franklin kit, but at least I was able to still use the stairs from the kit for my stairwell customization. Thank goodness!

Left: the original RGT Franklin interior layout. Right: the Maryetta with it's custom cut inside wall and modified cut floors.

______________________________________________

 Stair Construction

Each set of stairs is two pieces glued together, as per the kit and it's instructions. Using "mercury" metallic scrapbook paper,  I papered the risers and backs of the the stairs. The treads and sides got a couple of coats of silver craft paint.

 

The stair railings proved to be a time consuming sourcing exercise, but I finally located some mesh used for grilling from my local big box grocery and it was cheap too. I cut strips of it with kitchen shears and glued silver painted 1/8" basswood trim for the hand rails using E 6000 adhesive.

 

I glued the baseboard ribbon to the outside wall before I glued on the stairs. All of the rest of the baseboard basswood trim was then fitted and cut to the stairs. The inside, back and outside walls' installed baseboard ribbons and trims had to be fitted exactly to each other, but at least the wood trim pieces and ribbon provided the correct matching height for each wall.

 

Before I installed the inside wall's stairs I trimmed it's windows with my "classic" thin cut popsicle craft stick trim, painted a silver.

The custom cut inside wall of the stairwell before and after it's installed stair component and before it's baseboard trims. 


 
Finally I was able to glue the last outside wall on and proved that all my planning, meticulous measuring and fitting paid off! I then installed the silver painted crown moldings from Manchester Woodworks, magnets for the LED battery powered custom lights and the inside of my Maryetta was finally complete! Wow!
 
Left: clamping and wedging trims and cornice to the sides and ceiling.

Next: construction of the opening front wall! Oh my!



1 comment:

  1. I’m so glad to see you posting again. Sorry to hear about your losses, I hope you continue to create beautiful things and share them with the world

    ReplyDelete