As well of course it means cleaning up the leftovers of the hurricane that was that Big Project, yuk. So of course I moved all my tables and such, repositioning my working space. Come to think of it I seem to find that the best way to restart anything in my life. And I got to move that comfy velvet vintage rocking chair next to the fireplace for when my Benny comes to visit his Granny! I also got obsessed for a whole day culling my dolly home furniture collections. Thank you old movies!
So here's one of three little projects I gathered and moved to the side as I worked on my RGT 22 Town Hill, Larrson Dockhus (Swedish for "dollhouse" I hope, cause that's what I named it!). For some reason I see fit to work on each at the same time. Oh, and go to work everyday too.
My Frankenstiened German Strombecker Bed CreationOn the way home this last time from Colorado, my hubby and I took a detour to Cincinnati Ohio to pick up my "new" modern dollhouse score from eBay. With the winter traveling weather we were constantly in danger, not to mention the semi trucks, but we met an awesome couple and we achieved our "Local pickup only" purchase, only 250 miles away from our home in Ann Arbor
So now of course I'm outfitting it.
Here I'm making a 3/4 scale bed out of an oversized German 3/4 scale bed. Next to it is one of the cuboards that came with it so you can see it's crazy big size.
I feel bad I took it apart and cut it down but it was not in prime shape anyway and that is that!
Here you see it in comparison to the lovely 3/4 bed it came with. I used that to help me proportion my new creation.
I found a box lid and sliced the sides down for the correct depth of the "mattress". I then cut and folded it
to length. A bit of quick set glue and some tape till it dried and I had my mattress!
I cut the foot board down so it would be split in the middle, glued it back together. I left the head board intact to create the back of a floating nightstand bed. I then took a parted out, broken, walnut Strombecker solid buffet drawer, cut it down to size and split it in half to make the matching nightstands, those are on the left. The walnut "strap" decorating the foot board pieces is from an old Strombecker something parted out too, it's walnut as well.
One Little Project, Finished!
So here it is, glued, polyed and upholstered. Sorry about the little speck on the one nightstand! I used my cellphone to take these pics.
Here is the awesome shelving unit I bought way back, not knowing what to do with it, and the back view of za bed.
Put them together and whaddya know....
And here they are, together, in their new home.
On to the next!