Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Retrofit the Kit Tudor Dollhouse: Part 2 Create While You Wait - Real Good Toys Country Tudor CC15

It's hard to wait. So I dream and work on little projects I hope will work in the house. I've retrofitted a kitchen fireplace and a living room fireplace to pass the time and played with floor ideas using my computer...

 

___________________________

 

Kitchen Fireplace


I bought an a little fireplace off eBay, but it was just not tall enough to be at all believable in a 1:1 scale dollhouse. Using my hubby's paint stripper heat gun (my newest favorite tool!), I took it apart by melting it's glue. Then I flipped the hearth and the mantle and cut the back in half to make larger sides out of, glued it back together and voila! The chimney wasn't thick enough so I added some scraps on it's side and added some brick paper for the back of the fireplace.

___________________________

  

Living Room Fireplace

 

The center pict shows the comparison of the old and new mantles and hearths.

I started out with a little 1:1 scale fireplace called the James Town by Houseworks. The mantle and the floor were a bit too fancy and large so, once again, I used the heat gun to melt glue and take them off. I made the surround bone white to try and emulate stone and used shoe polish to smoke up the inside.

 

___________________________

 

"Tile" Floor

 



___________________________


Retrofitting thoughts:

1)  Make the 2nd floor shorter to have more useable space in the attic.

2) Blow out the 2nd floor windows and create a bay window.

3) Brick paper the outside 1st floor.

4) Find or make a dutch door for the entrance.

 

Hmmmm....Hurry up and get here kit!


2 comments:

  1. I hope your kit arrives soon. It can be so frustrating having to wait when you have so many ideas. Your fireplaces look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be patient lady! And in the meantime enjoy all these wonderful projects - you are so creative and imaginative, I love to see what you're up too.

    ReplyDelete